Sainte-Agathe-des-Monts Tourist information office
24, rue Saint-Paul Est
819 326-0457 ou 1-888-326-0457
Open daily from 9 am to 6 pm
Closed on December 25 th and January 1st.
The story of Ste- Agathe trains station.
The train arrives at Sainte-Agathe-des-Monts in 1892. The first host structure is likely limited to a simple shelter built in the valley on the fringes of the small village core occupying the hill.
The current station was built in 1902, on the Demontigny Street, according to the standard plan called "normal station No. 1 without dwelling" of the PC. This is the first example of a station model used and adapted several times thereafter by the company. Drawing elements to the architecture of the picturesque current that transforms the railway architecture at the turn of the twentieth century, the wooden rectangular building comprises a room of the conical roof rounded glass expectation, a hip roof, overhanging eaves , wooden brackets and a projecting bay corresponding to the stationmaster's office. The station moved to its current location and then enlarged in 1913. A new rectangular main building with a floor and a half gable roof is built into the original building. A dining area is located on the ground floor and a dormitory for the staff of the company occupies the floor. A luggage room, housed in a separate building, is fitted at that time on the railway site. This secondary structure and others have disappeared since, as the window surmounting the projecting bay station.
The arrival of the railway in Sainte-Agathe-des-Monts terminates its isolation and contributes to the transformation of its landscape. In addition to promoting the timber industry and tourism, the rail link enables the resort, renowned for the safety of its air, becoming a mecca for treatment of tuberculosis by establishing sanatoriums available daily from Montreal. Several new wealthy residents acquire properties and erect stately houses still visible in the built landscape Agde. The station becomes the 1920s the place of arrival of the CP special trains that bring skiers in the area. This is the golden age of rail link that takes the popular name of "P'tit train du Nord".
Improved road links including North highway construction in the 1960s, resulting in lower rail operations on the Montreal-Mont-Laurier line. Interrupted in 1960, the service resumed in 1978, but the operation of the railway was finally abandoned in 1981 for passengers and in 1989 for the transport of goods. The rails are dismantled in 1991.
In 1994, it is designated a heritage railway station by the Government of Canada. The Quebec government bought the former railway between Saint-Jérôme and Mont-Laurier in the same year to create the recreational tourism corridor P'tit Train du Nord, officially opened in 1996. The old station was restored on this occasion, and becomes a place of welcome for visitors and users of the bike path. A tourist information office and the offices of the Chamber of Commerce of the municipality are created there. A small local history museum was inaugurated on the scene in 2005.
On 14 October 2008, the station was severely damaged by fire. It was later restored. She finds visitors June 28, 2010.